Recording Day 1

Monday 10th April is the day I started to record in Lincoln, as the plan states, I will start by the roundabout at Saint Catherine’s and then work my way through the high street, up Steep Hill, passing the Cathedral and then along to the Ermine Estate. For the first part of the day, I walked from where I live, just outside of the city centre, onto the high street and then down to Saint Catherine’s, this took me about 45 minutes, because of how far away I live. I then sat down on a bench by the roundabout and spent about 15 minutes just recording the traffic going in and out of the city centre. I then started to walk up the high street, in the direction of Steep Hill. I recorded parts of the walk along the road – again, most of this was traffic noises, with the odd conversation of people walking past and the sounds of the beeps from the traffic as you cross the roads. As I crossed over from the corner of Tentercroft Street and the High street, this is where it comes pedestrian, as it was a nice day, there were a lot of people so for this short part – about a minute of recording – -it is mostly people’s footsteps and bits of conversation from people walking past me. I then recorded the train barriers going down and a train going past. This is all I recorded for the day as I didn’t realise how far away from my house the starting point was, if I knew how far away it was, I would have started an hour earlier and got more of the high street finished in the first day. All in all, I came away with around 30-35 minutes’ worth of recordings for the first part of the journey.